10 facts about cannabis
1. Cannabis is the scientific name of the hemp plant. Among other things, it contains the psychoactive ingredient tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) .
2. The dried flowers and leaves of the female hemp plant are known as marijuana. Hashish is the dried resin from the inflorescences of the plant.
3. Growing, trading, buying, and possessing cannabis is punishable under the Narcotics Act in Germany.
4. The European Monitoring Center for Drugs and Drug Addiction estimates that 26.3% of adults in the European Union have tried cannabis in their lifetime.
5. Scientific studies suggest that there is a connection between the use of cannabis and the development of psychosis.
6. Since March 10, 2017, doctors can prescribe medicinal cannabis flowers or cannabis extracts on a narcotic prescription. Before that, the purchase of medical cannabis was only possible with an exemption from the BfArM.
7. According to the German Medical Examination Institute, around 90,000 prescriptions for preparations containing cannabis were redeemed in pharmacies in Germany in 2017ish.
8. Cannabis is used, for example, in pain therapy, for certain chronic diseases such as multiple sclerosis or for severe loss of appetite and nausea, such as a result of chemotherapy.
9. The state cannabis agency of the Federal Institute for Drugs and Medical Devices (BfArM) is to control the cultivation of cannabis for medical purposes in Germany. Currently, the demand is only covered by imports, cannabis from German cultivation should be available from the end of 2020.
10. There is only a few areas of scientific evidence of medical efficacy and many effects require further research.